Ada S. McKinley Community Services moved it administrative offices to a new headquarters in the West Loop September with the purchase of a 20,000 square-foot, corner structure at 1359 W. Washington Blvd.
The two-story, atrium-style building was purchased by the agency’s property arm, Samaritas, Inc., and marks the realization of a long-term plan laid out by McKinley Executive Director George Jones, Jr. and its Board of Directors.
“This acquisition has been a dream in the making for some years, now,” said Jones, who has headed the agency for 16 years. “As a community service organization that has been a fixture in Chicago for almost 95 years, it was high time for Ada S. McKinley to have a permanent, administrative home.”
|McKinley's new administrative headquarters in the West Loop.|
The post-modern structure, which makes extensive use of skylights to bring light to interior space, originally included an interior roof deck off a second floor lunchroom. The building was renovated slightly to convert a credit union teller lane into additional office space and the banking lobby into a sweeping, two-story conference room. Additional offices and file storage rooms were added on the second floor. McKinley’s administrative offices were previously located at 725 S. Wells St. in a first-floor suite of offices that the agency occupied for 21 years.
McKinley serves more than 15,000 people each year at 38 program sites located throughout the West and South sides of Chicago. Services are provided within three major divisions: Behavioral Health and Clinical Services, Child Development and Youth Services and Employment and Community Support Services.
Services rendered daily include: tutoring, mentoring and college placement for disadvantaged youth, foster care, residential, youth and family counseling, employment training and placement, special and alternative schooling, daycare, and after-school and senior-care.